Hello, nocturnal readers!
I believe you all know by now that I'm a huge urban fantasy fan. There are many series I follow and many authors I adore, but Jenn Bennett's Arcadia Bell has a very special place in my heart. Jenn's new historical paranormal romance series, Roaring Twenties, is also a huge success. I was over the moon when Jenn accepted my invitation to participate in this event.
I'll leave you to Jenn and her choice of Halloween movies! Don't forget to enter the giveaway below.
Essential "Fun" Halloween Movies
by Jenn Bennett
October is one of my favorite months. The temperatures are cooling down, the leaves are turning, and, most importantly, my favorite holiday is just around the corner: Halloween. Though the holiday's custom of dressing up in costume to trick-or-treat isn't celebrated around the world, here in the States and Canada, it's part of every kid's childhood. As an adult, I now spend my Halloween on the other side of the door, handing out candy to the costumed trick-or-treaters—something that's almost as fun. But the best part about the spooky holiday is the lead-up to it, when my husband breaks out horror movies. We watch them all month long, and though the rotation of titles changes, a few have become compulsory. An October tradition. Some are scary, some are classics, and some are just plain fun. Those "fun" ones are some of my favorites, more "treat" than "trick," so I thought I'd share some them with you. Here are my Top Five fun horror movies to watch in October:
5. Shaun of the Dead (2004): Both an homage to zombie movies and a celebration of pop culture, this British movie remains funny and wildly entertaining after multiple viewings.
4. Young Frankenstein (1974): A Mel Brooks classic that fans of my Arcadia Bell series might remember referenced on the door to Jupe's room. As a parody of classic horror flicks, and not a horror movie itself, it is both charming and hilarious.
3. Trick r' Treat (2007): This is an newer horror anthology movie—a group of connected stories—that has sneaked into our Halloween routine. Though it occasionally surprises with a few chills and thrills, even its scarier moments are delivered with a low-key, dark humor. Plus: Anna Paquin as a...well, I won't spoil it for you.
2. Zombieland (2009). A badass Woody Harrelson, quick wit, zippy thrills, a sweet boy-meets-girl apocalyptic romance, and the always brilliant Bill Murray. What more do you want?
1. Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975). If you can't see a midnight showing of this campy cult classic in your town, pop some popcorn and enjoy it at home. The music is terrific, the mood is delicious, and no one can resist falling in love with Magenta, Columbia, and Dr. Frank N. Furter all over again.
JENN BENNETT is the author of: the Roaring Twenties series (Berkley Sensation) and the Arcadia Bell UF series (Pocket Books). Her first YA contemporary romance will be released in 2015 (Macmillan). She lives near Atlanta with one husband and two evil pugs. Visit her at www.jennbennett.net.
Want to be notified when her next book is coming out? Join her mailing list: http://eepurl.com/V5il9
Thank you, Jenn, and a huge thank you to Feri from Le Non Design for the wonderful banner above. Please visit her at http://www.le-non.com
Enter to win a book of your choice by Jenn Bennett. This giveaway is international, anywhere The Book Depository ships. Just fill out the Rafflecopter below, and as usual, keep your fingers crossed.